• Total cost £350 (inc.VAT)
  • Your lawyer will take you through the usual steps in dissolving your no issue civil partnership.
  • Advice from a divorce lawyer with 40 years divorce and family law experience.
  • We will hold your hand while your case is going through.
  • Direct access to your lawyer by phone, email and skype.
  • A mobile number is provided should you need to contact us in an emergency.
  • Everything is explained to you in plain English and in a down to earth manner.

The court will require you to pay a standard government court issue fee of £593.00 and is payable directly to to the court prior to the court issuing you divorce petition.

If you are on a low income you may not have to pay £593.00 Court fees, your legal adviser will review this opportunity with you.


A civil partnership gives gay and lesbian couples the same legal rights as their married heterosexual counterparts – and so requires formal legal proceedings when the relationship breaks down, to end the legal agreement between the couple.

To do this, one of the parties must file a petition with the court, requesting civil partnership dissolution. This is a process very similar to the divorce process.

To get dissolution, you must have been in a civil partnership for more than one year. One person needs to start the ball rolling.

They are known as the Petitioner. This person is responsible for proving that the civil partnership has irretrievably broken down.

The Petitioner is required to complete a petition, which will contain details including the date you entered into the civil partnership, the last address where you lived together as a couple, and whether or not there are any children in the family.

It then follows the same course as a divorce, typically taking between three and five months to complete.


There are no hard and fast rules regarding your financial rights in the breakdown of a relationship.

There will often be a range of possible solutions to dividing the assets in your relationship, and it is important that you explain fully to your legal advisors your own preferences within that range. It may be that you can come to an amicable agreement with your partner. If you do, it can be embodied in a legal binding agreement (called a Consent Order).

At Legal & Co we will guide you through the factors that the court may take into account, such as the age of the parties, the length of the relationship, jointly and individually held assets (including property), your income and pension provisions. Sorting out these arrangements with your former partner outside the bounds of the court will save time, money and additional heartache.

If you can’t agree however you have the right to invite the court to decide on a division of the assets with your partner.

This is a separate case beyond the dissolution of the civil partnership and follows the same process as financial settlements on divorce. You will need advice about your rights and may need our help to negotiate a settlement.



Free phone consultation – Friendly nationwide service | Call 0800 825 0156